Thursday, September 15, 2016

Day 5: Rabanal to Cruz de Ferro to Molinaseca - 25 km

It was 38 degrees when we started a 1200 foot climb to the top this morning.

My pack is light -- I am wearing everything I brought.

The origin of the Cruz de Ferro can be found in Roman times when a stone carrion on the peak was called Montes de Mercurio. The earliest reference to a cross on this peak is in the 14th century and ever since this is a key monument along The Way.

There is a beautiful ritual about the Cruz de Ferro. Pilgrims carry in their backpack from home a small little stone or memento which symbolizes “something” they want to memorize or move forward from.  These small objects are left around the Cruz de Ferro and the backpacks become lighter and pilgrims walk away with a lighter step.

The prayer from the Chapel that many recite at the foot of the cross.

"O Lord, may the stone which I bring to this Holy Place be a sign of my pilgrimage to Santiago. When I reach my final judgment, tip the balance of my life in favor of my good deeds. I lay down this token which I carry from home. Please forgive me my sins and help me carry my burden in life.  Amen,"





Laurel's memento is from her bother Mark's farm in Tennessee.


I left two. The first a stone from Enloe Creek in the Great  Smokies that I picked up on a trek with my son Troy last year. The second is an oyster shell from Ft. Caroline in Jacksonville.


From Cruz de Ferro we had a 3000 foot drop in 40 mph winds and intermittent rain. By the time we arrived in tonight's stop the temperature was back to 55 degrees.

Along the path we stopped to see Tomas-the last of the Templar Knights. At least according to Tomas.



We had dinner tonight with 2 Belgians and 2 Germans. The Belgians and 1 German spoke english. So with just a few translations we had a wonderful time. Once again the Appalachian Trail was a topic of fascination. I was able to share some photos on my phone. Troy -- they called you the  "trekking model".

The village of Molinaseca

Baroque church of St. Nicholas of Bari




No comments:

Post a Comment