Friday, September 23, 2016

Day 13: Arzua to O Pedrouzo on Friday

About twenty kilometers today through Galicia in the rolling farm country. We saw only one small 18th century church today, Santa Irene, but it was closed.

Depending on the map we have from 17-19 kilometers to the Cathedral. I don't think it matters at this point we might run there. Some people walk barefoot once we get in town -- not us.

Historically pilgrims would stop in this town to wash for the first time on their pilgrimage and be clean when they arrive in the cathedral. The Latin translation of the town name is "wash your tail". I'll keep this G-rated and let you figure that out on your own.

We may go for the octopus again tonight for dinner. That is the most common local delicacy in this part of Spain.

Interesting side note. I thought we would learn a lot about Spanish wines on the trip and we would make sure we made note of the labels so we could buy some when we get back to Jacksonville. We've only had one bottle the entire trip with a label and it was the worst bottle of the entire time in Spain. Every wine without a label has been fantastic.

Tomorrow in Santiago we can go to a winery where you just fill your cup from the large barrels and they don't even bother with the bottles.

The more observant may notice that I'm wearing a different hat. My trusty Tilley hat that I've had for a couple years, and went on the Appalachian Trail with me last year, is gone. The Tilley hats carry a lifetime warranty for damage, theft, or hats that finish the Pilgrimage with a different pilgrim. (may Santiago strike them down in the square)

Laurel got me a very nice new hat that saved me additional trips to the dermatologist.

  







No comments:

Post a Comment